The Most Important Things...

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them--words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to where your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you’ve said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That’s the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear.

~Stephen King~


I can see clearly now


I received my new glasses today. Bifocals that help me see the world a little better and assist me when I want to read something with normal sized print... like a newspaper or most books. I was thinking on my way back to work about my eyesight in general and what I would do if I lost it. Personally, if I had to give up one of my senses (and there are those who think I have already lost my sense of decency, but that's a story for another time), and had a choice in the matter, my eyesight would be the first to go. No question about it.

Why my eyesight? Let me explain...

The 5 senses are of course sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste.

I love to cook because I love to eat. I really enjoy tasting new types of foods, and there's not too many things to eat that I would consider off limits. An important element in tasting is smell, so those two go hand in hand. I couldn't imagine not tasting food anymore. I could live with it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I would miss my sight, but it would be devestating to me if I couldn't feel the touch of Sheri's hand on my chest or the way my insides get all mushy when she tells me how much she loves me. I wouldn't feel the wind or sun on my face, my cats when they snuggle up to me... things like that. Plus, what if I catch myself on fire... I might want to feel it before I end up like some of my earlier attempts at BBQ.

So that leaves eyesight and hearing. I have seen many, many sunsets and never get tired of them. I know what Sheri looks like and never grow weary of looking at her. I have seen so many beautiful things that our Heavenly Father has created and I often feel remiss in showing my appreciation for these things. For me, visualization in my mind's eye comes rather easily. I can easily paint my own sunset or snow covered mountaintop. I can visualize a field so blue with bluebonnets that it's hard to tell where the field ends and the blue sky begins. And no matter how old I get, I'll always remember Sheri's face. I really like that I can do that.

Sounds are a little harder for me to conjure up though. I love music and the sounds of running water and laughter. I love the sounds of the country, even as quiet as those sounds are. Give me a choice between and good picture and good music, and I'll pick music every time... but that's just me. For example, I have watched hundreds of baseball games, seeing the runner rounding third base to slide into home for the winning run or watching the left-fielder diving for a fly ball... and I've seen it all through my radio. Living in silence is a more daunting and unpleasant thought to me than living in darkness.

I've felt this way for a long time... but getting my new glasses today made me think about this again, and I thought I would share.

Until next time...

free hit counter


2 comments:

g.s. said...

You said it, Buddy. I agree 100%. You know what? You bug me in person, but you're kinda likeable in print.

Love, g.s.

Lynn said...

yeah... I'm kinda funny that way