The Most Important Things...

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them--words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to where your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you’ve said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That’s the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear.

~Stephen King~


If I Only Had the Time


It was a great day today. Sam, Donnie, and I accomplished quite a bit on the remodel job we're doing right now. The weather was wonderful but we were inside most of the day... made a difference though. Mom came by and saw the house for the first time since we started, and I think she liked what she saw. She always has a good eye for the work we do and can point out things that need changing.

I was going through some old stuff of mine last night and ran across an exercise I did about 8 or 9 years ago.

One day, I went down to the lake close to where I used to live in Richmond, and I sat there looking out at the water and boaters and thought about what I would like to do or learn or accomplish if I could somehow find the time.

Think about that... If you really had more time, what would you do with it? What's something you'd like to do if you had a couple of extra hours a week that were just for you? Two hours, three hours, four hours... just a little extra time.

Well, I thought why not share what's on my list? Many of mine still apply today. I've accomplished some, started some but need to continue, and some I may never do but so what... it's my list, not quite a "Bucket List" like in the movie that's out now, just things that aren't earth shattering or life altering that would bring me (or possibly someone else) a little joy in this life.

Spend more time with Jessica and Justin - My two children from my first marriage. We went a long time being out of touch with each other. The gap between us is closing more and more as time goes by and I'm thrilled beyond belief to have them back in my life again, even if on a limited basis.

Learn to dance - Anyone who has seen me attempt to dance know there is a definite need for this one. I'd like to be able to take Sheri dancing and not embarrass the both of us.

Write a love song for Sheri - I wrote one for the piano called "Sheri's Lullaby" but it has no words to it, so I guess I'm half way there on this one.

Write a novel - If I take all these posts and bind them, could I call that a novel? Probably not. I'd like to write just a fun story of fiction.

Master fire walking - I did a fire walk in December of 1997 in Dallas, Texas. The walk was only about 12 feet, but just when I was about to go, they stopped me and added fresh coals. I was a little taken back but I regained my focus and walked right across. Invigorating experience to be sure... now I'd like to go for a 40 ft walk.

Play more golf - I'm not sure about this one anymore. The last time I played my shoulders started hurting so bad (arthritis) that I couldn't finish the round. I was really mad at that. I'd still like to be able to play though.

Play more tennis - Same as golf.

Learn to fly a plane - If you read my post called "Unlimited Trips to the Fixins Bar" you know that I started learning this one before I was hurt in a car accident. I signed up for the lessons specifically because of this list.

Learn massage therapy - A friend of mine told me once that there's no such thing as a bad massage. I know I've never received a bad one so maybe I don't need to learn as much as I thought I did. I would however like to be able to relieve sore muscles and aches and pains through massage. I guess some biology study is in order.

Learn to kayak - This just sounds like fun to me. I've been down rivers in a canoe, but the kayakers look like they're having more fun. I don't get how they just flip themselves back up when they tip over upside down though.

Write to friends and family - uh... hello. just kidding. I'm sure I meant more personal greetings instead of this blog.

Learn to paint - My grandfather started watching those painting shows with William Alexander and Bob Ross after he retired and he became very good. I have some of his work hanging in my home. I'd like to learn do that... very expressive.

Read more - Someone told me years ago that we all remain the same people we were 10 years ago except for the people we meet and the books we read. When I was a kid, I used to lie in bed with my head at the foot of my bed next to the door and read by the light coming in from the hallway. Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, stuff like that. I loved to read then and I love to read now.

Visit the mountains - There's something magically tranquil about being in the mountains. I've been to Aspen in the Rockies, the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, the Sierras in California, and now I live in the Ozarks. I guess I could cross this one off my list, but I'm not gonna.

Learn to scuba dive - I love all the different marine life that the oceans have to offer. Besides, I might find that big blue diamond that lady threw overboard at the end of "Titanic."

Walk / Hike - I've been very interested in those people who hike from Georgia to Maine along the Appalachian Trail. I thought at one time that I would like to do that, and I guess I still do, but reality dictates that one this one, I might be a little too fragile to attempt the feat by the time I have enough time to do it. I still like to read about it though.

Visit the beach - I don't know why I put this one down. I love the water and I love to be outdoors and I love the ocean, but I always feel nasty and sticky when I come off of a beach. I like water parks and clean pools better. Sheri loves the beach though so I'll go for her.

Travel like Charles Kuralt - I don't have a really strong desire to travel to other countries (except possibly Italy), but I do want to travel the back roads of the states and see what I can find. I have read quite a few of his books and I think it would be really cool just take some time and go, and see where the wind takes us.

Exercise - My doctor would be thrilled if I did more of this.

Swim - Like I said, I love the water.

Go on picnics - I remember one in particular when I was a kid. Our family went on a picnic with the Coldwaters. We were in a big grassy field in Austin, Texas next to a stream. I remember that we had a huge bucket of chicken from what was known back then as Kentucky Fried Chicken, lots of sides and drinks. My sisters and I played in the water with the Coldwater kids and I remember that there were big flat rocks that made the bed of the river and they were extremely slippery. The things we remember, huh? Anyway, I'd like to take Sheri on a picnic to a place like that.

Learn to sail - Again with the ocean, but this time I would be captain of my own destiny. Probably not really, but it sounds impressive, doesn't it?

Learn woodworking - Every man wants to be Norm from "The New Yankee Workshop" and every woman wants to be married to a guy like Norm. I just want to make some clocks and maybe some furniture.

Learn to fly fish - How can you not want to learn that after watching "A River Runs Through It"?

Study more history - I missed a golden opportunity to learn much of the Civil War history when I was in Richmond. I still like history though... Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Learn magic - Simple things like card tricks or coin tricks to amuse and amaze kids.

Attend an opera - There's a part of me that wants to experience what some might call "the finer things in life".

Attend a symphony - Same explanation.

Read to a hospitalized child - Can't really explain where this comes from, but I feel like I should do it.

Grow herbs - I would love to be able to go outside and pick all the herbs and spices I need for my cooking. I'm looking forward to having a greenhouse for that very purpose.

Learn to be a clown & to juggle - There are very few (if any) sounds that I enjoy more than laughter, especially from children. I know there are "clown schools" out there, but I'm not really looking for a new profession.

Host a murder mystery dinner - Been looking into this one again lately. It just sounds like fun to me.

Donate blood / plasma / platelets - I used to donate quite a bit when I lived in Houston. I got a coffee mug that says I'm up to 6 gallons donated so far. I like the feeling I get when I give. Besides, blood needs to be changed like the oil in your car, doesn't it?

Learn to ice skate - I went to the Galleria shopping mall in Houston one time during the middle of a weekday, and on the ice rink in the middle of the mall was an older couple skating around and around and around together, arm in arm, skating in perfect unison with each other, and they looked so happy that I almost cried. When they first appeared, everyone else took seats off to the side and watched as they had the ice all to themselves. They skated for 2 or 3 songs then took off their skates and left. They had obviously been there before and even more obviously had been skating together for years.

Skydive - I have a thing about heights and this falls under the category of "conquering my fears".

Learn Boy Scout skills - I am teaching the 11 year old scouts now so I'm learning a lot.

Piano lessons - I can play a little, but I can't read a note.

Guitar lessons - Still can't read a note, and can't play a note either.

Learn to invest - A more accurate description of this one would be "Learn to invest and not lose my butt in the process". Makes a little difference that way.

Teach - I have several opportunities to do this each month, and I really enjoy teaching.

Cooking - I have fallen in love with Alton Brown and the Food Network, and the longer it takes to prepare and cook it, the better I like it.

Raise cockatiels - I think any kind of parrot is beautiful. I like cockatiels because they're smaller, can't really hurt you if they bite, and are fun to train. I used to have one a long time ago that would throw a fit if I went into the shower without him. He'd sit up on the shower curtain rod and have a blast in the water that would splash on him.

Join Toastmasters - I love public speaking and need a place where I can practice.

Go on a mountain bike ride - Peaceful, quiet, a little exercise, in the mountains. Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon on a nice day.

Take photographs - I tried to take some from other people's homes, but they stopped inviting me over. Rebecca has quite a talent for photography and I like having some of her work in our home.

Throw pottery - Sit at a potter's wheel and make some of the pots that I grow herbs in. Maybe some bigger ones to go around the porch. Lots of uses for good pots.

Listen to music - I don't sit back and close my eyes and just enjoy music as much as I would like to.

Weave a basket - I saw a home in one of my log home magazines that had hundreds of baskets all over the place, not just thrown around but on display. I thought that was kinda neat and it led me to thinking I like to learn how to do that.

Well, that's my list. It's been fun for me to see it after so long and try to remember why I wanted to do some of these things in the first place. This was from quite a few years ago and I have more things now that I want to do, but I'll leave that for another day.

It's a fun little exercise to do and I hope you'll take a few moments and make your own list. Who knows? It might tell you a lot about yourself. It might open up some new ideas for you too. I know it sure did for me.

Something to think about.

Until next time...
free hit counter


1 comment:

Rebecca Lynn said...

skydiving??
set up an time to go and i will go with you no doubt!!!
along with throwing pottery...i always loved doing that in art class.

lets do that to!
love you :c )