The Most Important Things...

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them--words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to where your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you’ve said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That’s the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear.

~Stephen King~


It's a Jeep Thing, Baby...




Man, it's hard to be humble when you drive a Jeep.
When you know that you are the envy of everyone else on the roads because of what you're driving, it's tough not to look down the nose and try to fit in with drivers of common automobiles. Other Jeep drivers know this feeling well.

I got my Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2004 and it's been a mutual love affair ever since. It's really quite simple... I love my Jeep and my Jeep loves me.

It has helped me deliver literally thousands of Richmond Times Dispatch newspapers. It has helped me deliver many other items of importance when I was a courier in Richmond. It has carried me through wooded areas of the region where I now reside. We've crossed streams and rivers together, towed trailers full of firewood down curving winding dirt roads. It's even hauled firewood in the back two thirds of the passenger area when no trailer was available.

Does it complain? Nope

Does it ever let me down? Hasn't happened

Does it ever get stuck in mud or snow? Oh, make me laugh ! ! !

Driving a Jeep is a justified reason to feel superior to other motorists who somehow feel themselves worthy to occupy the open roads of this great land of ours. What other brand of vehicle can offer this kind of supremacy? Harley Davidson, perhaps... but I've never seen a Harley hauling a good load of, well... anything. Have you?

So that leaves us with the first, the last and the Mother of all SUVs... the Jeep.

While my Jeep might not be the Wrangler that so many people associate with the name "Jeep", it still qualifies me to participate in "The Wave." Now you might ask "But Lynn, What is the wave???" Well let me explain...

Have you ever been in a Jeep when it is approaching another Jeep? You know what I'm talking about if you have. Jeep drivers are fond of waving to each other. In fact, some would even consider this practice as mandatory... and there are even rules of conduct for the wave.

Jeepin' Wave Rules

These rules are an attempt to make it easier to facilitate the mandatory wave when coming in contact with another vehicle of the Jeep nature. Though there are several variations of the waving rules, the following were designed as an easy to remember guideline for when to wave and who should wave first.

Rule 1:If you are a driver or passenger in a Jeep vehicle, and you come in contact with another occupied Jeep vehicle you should wave. If the vehicle is not occupied, the wave is optional.

Rule 2:Be the first to wave. Don't wait, just wave.

Rule 3:Be forgiving. Sometimes the occupants of the Jeep receiving the wave are not paying attention, distracted, or are paying attention to driving. We all know how you can get lost in the euphoria of driving a Jeep and forget about the outside world.

Rule 4:Wave vigorously. When cruising at 55mph towards a vehicle going 55mph it is sometimes difficult to see the 'over the steering wheel' wave. Get that hand out and make it seen!

Rule 5:When you are the recipient of a wave, return the wave.

Rule 6:Sometimes Jeep owners forget they are not in their Jeep and wave by habit. When occupants of non-Jeep vehicles wave, returning the wave is optional, but usually a good idea.

There are groups formed all over the country of Jeep enthusiasts who get together and discuss how "Jeeping" greatly enhances one's life and stature in the community. And they wave to each other a lot too, I'm sure.

Ever heard of "Camp Jeep?" Go check it out here... Camp Jeep 2007 >> .

Jeep has its own myspace account... The Jeep Profile on MySpace >>.

Facebook... The Jeep Group on Facebook >>.

There's The Jeep Channel on YouTube >> , Jeep Jamboree >> , and Jeep Games >> .

There's even the Jeep National Anthem >> .

I'm doing the best that I can under the circumstances, but as I said earlier, it's hard to be humble when you drive a Jeep. What other vehicle would dare to wear a window sticker upside down that reads "If you can read this, turn me back over?"

Rugged, daring, brave, dependable, stylish... and wave worthy.

So with a slight air of haughtiness and arrogance in my voice, and through my customarily unshaven face, I say to the less fortunate ... It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Until next time...

free hit counter


2 comments:

Rebecca Lynn said...

you're jeep is almost as cool as my neon! lets compare:

Does it complain? yes...as a matter of fact if I drive it too hard it decides to fall out of gear.

Does it ever let me down? yes. twice actually. and will probably do again so very soon.

Does it ever get stuck in mud or snow? Oh, make me laugh...if there is a slight gravel on the ground it gets stuck.

wow....it looks like my neon is pretty much the best car ever compared to your jeep.

oh wait. no its not. my bad.

Lynn said...

LOL... that's awesome.

Remember Sweetie, I had a Neon and traded it in for the Jeep because it died on me. Looks like you need to get yourself a Jeep.