The Most Important Things...

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them--words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to where your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you’ve said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That’s the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear.

~Stephen King~

Paul Edens

In an attempt to keep everyone informed, and with permission from the Edens family to keep everyone informed, I have decided to use this forum to post the news and subsequent updates. I am not all that great at texting, autocorrect makes me say things that I didn't want to say... and this way, I can direct people (by a much simpler text) to this page instead of texting all the information as needed.

 Many of you who received the link to this page via the facebook private message already know of this news about Paul. It is my hope that those in Richmond who have better access to news and updates concerning his condition will post those updates in the "Comments" section of this post. This, for now, is the best way I can think of to keep everyone posted.

I would like to respect the need for some privacy at this difficult time, so I'm not sure of the wisdom in posting all news on facebook for the world to see at this time.

Also, the family has given permission to ask everyone who knows and loves Paul to spread the word as it would certainly be appropriate to ask for prayers for our good friend and his family. I will attempt to be diligent in sending out updates via facebook private messages that will direct you to this page.

SUNDAY, 17 June 2012: On Sunday, June 17th, Paul Edens suffered a heart attack. After speaking with his son Jacob shortly before noon CDT, this is what I know as of now:

Jan woke up at around 5:30am by Paul's apparent snoring. When she tried to roll him over, and then to wake him, she turned a light on and saw that his face was blue. What she had thought was snoring was him gasping and struggling for air.

She called through the house for help and Kevin was able to get him to the floor where Jan started performing CPR on him. Someone called the paramedics and they took over the efforts when they arrived. Jacob told me that Paul flatlined at one point during their attempts to revive him, but they were able to get him back.

Once stabilized, Paul was transported to Chippenham Hospital where he is now in the Intensive Care Unit. They are keeping him cool by way of a cooling blanket. I did some research on the purpose of the cooling blanket… read about it here (Therapeutic Hypothermia)

• A cold blanket that induces hypothermia is preventing brain damage in heart attack patients. The blanket, filled with chilled liquid, cools body temperature a few degrees, potentially decreasing the brain cells need for oxygen. Patients are unconscious during the cooling and are allowed to warm up after about 24 hours.

• Dr. Nabil El Sanadi, Broward Health's (Florida) emergency-medical chief, called the technology "revolutionary," and said it also has been adopted over the past year or two by many paramedic units.

• "The cooling keeps the organs from deteriorating," said El Sanadi, who helped write the American Heart Association's resuscitation guidelines in 2005 and 2010. "It's one of the most important things that has come out in the last 20 years."

• Twenty years ago, only about 1 percent of heart attack patients survived without brain damage, El Sanadi said. The use of emergency coolants, including intravenous injections by doctors and paramedics, has increased healthy survival rates to 40 percent, he said.

• Brain cells begin to die after four minutes without oxygen.

When I spoke with Jacob, Paul’s heart was beating on its own, and he was being kept sedated and unconscious, and cooled by the cooling blanket. I do not know if it is known by the doctors how long the brain was without oxygen.

In the morning, the doctors will let his temperature rise to normal levels and wake him. They will evaluate his condition and try to determine if any damage to the brain has occurred. He is stable and in good hands.

Jan is strong and holding up well. Ian and Tom are flying out to VA on Monday. Jacob sounded very strong when I talked with him. Chelsea is struggling a little, but I know her to be strong as well.

Please remember them all in your prayers.


UPDATE - Monday, 18 June 2012, 10:00am CDT: I spoke with Jacob this morning. Paul flatlined again (for about 5 minutes) sometime during the night or this morning, and the doctors were once again able to bring him back. His heart is beating, but irregularly. (Arrythmia)

Tests on his heart show a little damage to the muscle, little enough to be able to classify this as a "minor attack".

The real issue now, it seems, is the lack of oxygen to the brain. They have performed some tests while he is unconscious and have been able to detect some brain activity. He also has involuntary leg and arm movement, which is a good sign… it is more evidence of brain activity.

In a couple of hours, they will let his temperature rise and evaluate his condition. Jacob has promised to keep me informed. As soon as I know something, I’ll post an update here.

The family is asking for your prayers. They can feel them and are being sustained by them.


UPDATE - Monday, 18 June 2012, 11:45 CDT: Jacob just called and told me that Paul woke up from sedation. He didn't know where he was or why he was there, but was able to answer some rudimentary questions about his family Jacob said this was awesome news and I agree.

Please continue prayers


UPDATE - Thursday, 21 June 2012, 9:00CDT:

I just got off the phone with Jan.

Paul is making progress but he still has a ways to go.

A blood clot caused a blockage that resulted in the heart attack, then there was the arrythmia that was cause for concern. He is on monitors and the staff at Chippenham Hospital are watching him closely.

The monitors are a little upsetting to Paul, he sees them and gets scared I think because he thinks it should look different.

There is still some confusion in Paul's mind. He seems to get agitated at little things. Some of the monitors and tubes in him are causing some discomfort. He also repeats himself often, it sounds as though his short term memory is struggling to keep up with things.

His appetite is growing though, if I understood Jan correctly.

He has not been able to sleep the last couple of nights, he told me that he hopes to finally get some sleep tonight. I asked Jan if he was scared and she said he was... he's especially scared to go to sleep, even as tired as he is. They are going to give him something a little stronger to help him tonight.

He is pretty sore where she was doing chest compressions, and also where they had to shock him with the paddles the two times he flatlined. When he coughs, those areas hurt quite a bit and it scares him a little.

As you can see, I have posted all of your comments from facebook onto this blog. I think it was Jacob who discovered it, he showed it to Jan, and Jan helped Paul to read it.

Jan told me that he was moved to tears twice while he was reading it, but wasn't sure what it was that made him cry. Either some of your comments, or the description of what happened on Sunday morning. Either way, she thought it was good for him to see it.

So keep 'em coming. Add to the facebook message that I sent out a few days ago or add a comment right here, and I'm sure Jan will show them to Paul.

I also spoke with Chelsea for a few minutes. She sounded good. She sounded strong. She also told me that she knew prayers were coming their way. She sounded very appreciative and thankful for those prayers.

Chelsea also told me that it would probably be better and easier to send any cards and letters directly to their house instead of sending them to the hospital.

A special thanks from the family to everyone for so many things... The visits by friends, and especially the prayers. They can all feel them coming their way. They know you are praying for them all, because they can feel them.

And a thanks from me to the wonderful staff at Chippenham Hospital for watching over my friend. I had dealings with many departments there while I was in Richmond and I honestly cannot recall ever having any serious level of trouble with anyone I ever met there. Way to go everyone, and keep up the good work.

And finally, I got to talk with Paul for a few minutes. He still sounds a little weak, but it was so good to hear his voice. I told him that I love him and that I wish I could be there to hold his hand right now. He told me he loves me right back.

He also told me that he knows of the prayers on his behalf, and he sounded very touched and moved when I told him that we're praying for him, for a quick and full recovery, and for his family.

Paul is one of the best people I know and I hate that this had to happen to him, but everything for a reason, right? I know that none of us know the reason that this has happened to this good man right now, but someday we will and we'll see that while this wouldn't be something that any of us would choose for ourselves, for our loved ones, or for Paul Edens, Heavenly Father knows what is best, and He is watching over our friend.

Get well soon, Paul.

We all love you.


Lynn said...

From Katie Bailey:

I visited him today. He woke up for a few minutes. While awake, he responded appropriately to a couple of questions by nodding or shaking his head, and followed a couple of simple commands. His smile was the best part!

Lynn said...

From Betsy Bailey Baumeier:

I am so happy to see what Katie wrote....the smiling part.....I was so worried about him all day today and I couldn't stop thinking about him or the Eden's.....I'm still praying....I know it will work....

Lynn said...

From Marlin Fry:

News from the hospital.

Paul is out of the coma and breathing on his own. He has been awake several times and recognizes his family but is confused about where he is and why. When he figures it out or is told he is in the hospital be becomes scared and agitated so to keep him calmer they have sedated him just a little so he sleeps more than he is awake.

The doctors have determined he has a blockage that caused the heart attack. If they can keep him stable over night they plan to find the blockage tomorrow and take care of it.

He had a brain scan earlier in the day and the tech who did it said Paul had a good wave but to not put too much stock in his opinion cause he's not a doc. The family expects the results from a Neurologist tonight or tomorrow.

He is still in CCU.

Ian is here with his new son, whom Jan and Paul have not met. Tom, an unoffical adopted son, is here also. They were all headed home to eat when I arrived at the hospital so that should tell you how Jan is feeling about things. She plans to go back and spend the night with Paul and the family plans to someone there with Paul all the time.

There is still lots going on so please no visits yet. I'm talking to the family twice a day and will pass along a report each time. Please spread the news as you see fit.

Things are looking up but let's keep praying for Paul, Jan and their family.

The Redhead Riter said...

It was such a shock when I heard the terrifying news! They have been on my mind and in my prayers constantly.

Lynn said...

From Colleen McCabe:

I just got home from visiting Bishop. He is awake and has made alot of progress! It was nice to see him alert and aware or what was going on and who was around. It's wonderful that the brain trauma doesn't seem to be too extensive. He was laughing and enjoying everyone's company.

Everyone seemed to be in good spirits, just wanted to give a quick update! Keep praying for them as he still has a long road ahead!

Lynn said...

From Betsy Bailey Baumeier

That's nice to hear Colleen....thanks for keeping everyone updated....

I can't wait to give Bishop a big hug when I'm home in August....if you see them soon tell all of them I love them and I am praying for them every day.....

Lynn said...

From Katie Bailey

I was there today too. He's laughing and telling stories. He did tell me the same story twice. My mom does that too though. He looks much better than he did on Monday.

Paul Edens said...

Hey everyone! This is Paul Edens posting to my good friend and soulmate Lynn Henry's blog. I am alive and well and must say I have felt all your prayers. I thank you for them!

Today is Friday June 22nd and for the first time in a couple of days I slept last night for a few hours and ate a full breakfast. I am going to be fitted for a life vest sometime today and hopefully move out of CCU to a regular room.

I know and have felt many people praying for me and I thank you ever so much! Many have visited and I am sorry if I wasn't as coherant at times but sunday monday and tuesday I dont remember anything. Wednesday was better and I had many visitors. I won't list them here but I thank each and every one of them. Im slow and weak and have a long ways to go. Not sure how long it will take. What I really want to say in this is thank you thank you thank you for all your prayers and concerns and keep them coming!

With all my different nurses I wanted to say that Chelsea has basically been my personal nurse. She has stayed with me every night and sometimes she is harder on me than the other nurses haha but she has kept me focused.

Jan is the love of my life and has been here and supported me through all of this even while taking care of the home and out of town visitors.

Bottom line thank you again for all your prayers and support I feel that I will be alright although it may take some time.

Love you all!

keith said...

Way to go Paul, glad you got to sleep!! Another prayer answered. Getting stronger, Brother Man!

Lynn said...

From Julie Winkel:

Yea! It looks like the baby steps are the way to go Paul! I guess we wore you out last night and you got some sleep...or it could be the meds possibly. Thank you for cheering us up yesterday when we visited's so true to you! You are the BEST!

MaryMac said...

From Mary MacCabe:

Bishop, I'm so happy to read of your wonderful progress!!!!!

You have so much support, love, prayers, and positive thoughts being sent your way :)

Reneers in Nebraska said...

So glad to hear of Paul's recovery. Our prayers and thoughts have been with him. We love Bishop Edens! from the Reneer family :)

Lynn said...

From Jeff Green:

Please let Paul know that we announced his condition to the Ward on Sunday morning here in Branson and we prayed for him in our PEC meeting.

We are praying for him in our family prayers and are glad to hear that he is doing better!

Jeff Green

Karen Zingg said...

Hooray!! So happy you are doing better! Don't you scare us anymore and get home soon!! I mean it, ya hear?

Love, Karen

Lynn said...

From Facebook:

Chelsea Edens: I am happy to say that my dad is doing well! I wanted to thank everyone for the love, support, prayers, phone calls, and visits! We will hopefully be leaving the hospital soon and into a rehab facility. We have a long road of recovery ahead of us but the important thing is he is alive and here with us. Thanks again everyone!

Kim Blackwell- Holmes: Happy your Dad is doing better, with continue to keep him in my prayers!

Lynn Henry: I'm glad you are there, Chelsea. I know he is in good hands.

Cheryl Morris Sigmund: I'm so glad to hear that Chelsea!! I'm sorry we didn't get to see each other last week, I wanted to give you a BIG hug. Hang in there girlie, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and most importantly, you're almost ready to begin your future!!!!!!!

Peggy Krech: I am so glad to hear that your dad is doing well. Yes, a long road to recovery, but that is when the healing begins. Hang in and the thoughts and prayers will continue to go with him and the family!

Erin Cometto: I'm glad to hear that! Our thoughts and prayers are still with you all. Miss you

Lauren Brewster: So so happy!

Lynn said...

From Chelsea Edens:

Need more prayers for my Dad please. He took a step backwards today not doing too good right now...

Ashley Ostrom: I'm praying for your family. Stay positive.

Chelsea Edens: Thanks Ashley im trying to

Ashley Ostrom: I know that the rest of our family is praying for you dad too.

Lynn said...

From Chelsea Edens:

Well we were supposed to move forward and go into rehab today but we had a setback. He is in a lot of pain and its hard for him to breathe so we had a CT done today. Doc just came in and said he has blood clots in his lungs and we will be here at least the rest of the week. Prayers are needed please!

Sheri Noordewier Henry: coming your way!!

Matt Phipps I'm praying for your family Chelsea, let me know if there's anything else I can do. Hang in there, he's a strong man.

Tonya Hunte: Prayers for your dad and family

Ryan Da Lion: i'll keep him in my prayers.. i wish the best for him and your family!

Betsy Bailey Baumeier: I'm so sorry babe...lots of prayers coming your way...mwauh!

Rebekah Gifford: I love you uncle Paul...and sending prayers to heal quickly. Chels, please tell him that if you can. Thinking of you and the family, X0.

Lynn said...

From Chelsea Edens around noon on Tuesday:

Last night was rough he was in a lot of pain and just seemed to be gasping for air. I could tell in his eyes he was scared. He would feel around for my hand and just squeeze it and I would see him relax and breathe a little better. We are doing well this morning. We got ahead of the pain with morphine. It still hurts but he says it takes a lot of the edge off. He has been dozing off all day which is good. He needs the rest.

The blood clots the doctor says are kind of common after being in bed for so long. There isnt anything we can really do but he is on lovenox and coumadin which the doctor says is scary and he hates to have to mix those two due to the the high risk of bleeding usually in the bowel but we are hoping we can avoid that.

He loves to ask us how the blog is doing and loves to read it as well as the comments over and over.

KarenZ said...

Thoughts and prayers and lots of love coming your way!

Mary MacCabe said...

From Mary MacCabe:

Bishop - You continue to be in my thoughts, and prayers. Keep up the good fight!!!! :)

Lynn said...

From Jan Edens:

Paul was moved to JW this afternoon.....he'll start PT soon.......YA HOO!!!!! Hope he will be able to come home next Friday.